Oral surgery is a surgical specialty which includes, diagnosis and surgical treatment of diseases, defects and injuries of the oral and facial region. This type of surgery is needed when the dental conditions have reached a significant level of decay. You may have to get an oral surgery done for removing wisdom teeth, repairing jaw problems, performing root canals, getting dental implants, laser surgery to manage snoring, regeneration of deficient bone and gum tissues around the teeth, preparing the mouth for dentures and repairing the extremely advanced dental decay.
It is never too late to restore the full functionality and dental health of your mouth. Oral surgeons are more qualified and trained than a normal dentist and can do much more than just removing teeth. Once their training is complete, they can perform an extensive array of services which normal people may not be aware of.
Oral surgeons provide a range of services, including:
– Teeth Extraction– You can get your impacted wisdom teeth removed with the help of an oral surgeon. An impacted tooth is one which fails to grow into the mouth. Most people have at least one impacted tooth and it can cause many health problems, if not removed.
– Orthognathic Surgery– This surgery is used to treat a host of jaw problems. It is usually performed to realign the jaws in combination with the orthodontic braces. It can correct a wide range of minor and major facial or dental irregularities.
– Facial Reconstruction– A person many need facial reconstruction due to sport related injury, a motor vehicle collision and a trip or a fall. You may suffer from soft tissue injuries, bone injuries or tooth and mouth injuries. An oral surgeon can perform a maxillofacial surgery to help reconstruct your mouth and face.
– Dental Implants– This is a very effective way to replace missing or extracted teeth. With an overall success rate of 95%, procedures like teeth in one day dental implants are one of the best options for patients to look and feel the best. You should only select the best dental implant specialist for this process.
– Oral Cancer– Oral surgeons can remove cancerous tumors and cysts. Oral cancer is one of the most common types of cancer, which requires immediate attention.
– Birth Defects– Many children suffer from birth defects like, a cleft lip and palette. An oral surgeon can effectively treat these birth defects.
Some other services provided by an oral surgeon include, bone grafting, teeth grinding, surgery for salivary gland and outpatient anesthesia.