Too many people live with the agony of jaw pain, dismissing it as a part of aging. What they don’t know is that this disabling pain is totally preventable and simple measures can help them relieve the distressing jaw pain. Consulting a doctor of oral health can help you understand the nature of jaw pain and how to deal with it.
How to Differentiate Jaw Pain from Other Kinds of Pain?
Jawbone pain is medically known as the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain. It starts as tenderness of the jawbone area that aggravates on chewing, talking and other types of jaw movements. TMJ pain is frequently accompanied by a “popping sensation” in the joint forming the jaw.
Gum pain, tooth ache and neck pain are other complaints encountered along with jowl pain and occur due to spasms of the muscles forming the jaw resulting in radiation of pain to these areas. Jaw pain jawbone makes the normal jawbone movements quite painful.
What Causes Jaw Pain?
Jaw pain seldom arises as a result of major problems. Often, it is the minor problems that result in aching of the jowl. These include:
• Grinding of teeth, especially at night
• Locked jaw
• Clicking or popping jaw
• Joint abnormalities
• Overuse injury of the jaw
• Postural abnormality
• Muscle spasm/pain/strain
• Jaw trauma
How to Deal With Jaw Pain?
First of all, find a dentist’s dental treatment in India to get expert dental help on dealing with jawbone pain. You can ask your GP to refer you to one of the best dentists in India. Alternatively, you can employ help of friends and family to look for one of the best dentists in India who can take care of your jawbone problem and can educate you about its treatment and prevention. An expert doctor of oral health can make the entire process of diagnosis and treatment quite easy.
Even if you are unable to go to a dentist, you can download the dentist’s personalized apps that serve as online dental clinics which benefit you immensely in the form of online dentist’s consultation. Most of the dentists in India advise adopting simple measures to deal with joint pain since most of the problems causing jawbone pain go away on their own and do not need any major intervention. Some of the common adjustments that a doctor of oral health will ask you to make include:
• Consume soft foods like yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies and soups that can be chewed easily so as to avoid putting extra strain or your already hurting jaw.
• Avoid clenching and grinding your teeth in order to put your jowl muscles and joints at rest.
• Application of ice packs to the jaw can help ease the pain. Moist heat is also recommended.
• Some of the dentists in India recommend over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen, Naproxen or Acetaminophen for excruciating joint pain that does not get relieved with any other measure. If the pain becomes unbearable, your dentist may also prescribe non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or opiates analgesics to deal with the jaw pain.
• Avoid putting undue strain on the jaw. Don’t open your mouth widely. Don’t sleep on the affected side. Avoid pressing the hurting side with your hand or resting the aching jaw on a hand.
You can consult a dentist online for a detailed account of the precautionary measures that can help you with the jaw pain. You can avoid living with the misery of jaw pain by practicing simple methods in order to relieve the jowl pain.